They worked!

16 Feb

I mentioned I was going to try to make Valentine treats using this method, but obviously had to change the actual recipe for it to work for us.

First I used this recipe to make a sheet cake.  I figured it would work but hadn’t actually tried it before, I think I baked it half an hour on 150c/300f.  I popped it in the freezer to help it cool faster.

When the cake had reached room temperature I mixed this up (using gluten free flour, coconut milk, and just skipping the butter to meet everyone’s needs) and followed the original method.  One thing I did different, is I put a little mark on the bottom of the paper liner so I couldn’t lose track of where the front was.  Some of the hearts stayed down, while others floated, but that’s okay because I made a dozen and only needed seven.  In fact, for BT2 I chose a floaty one on purpose, I think they look just as cool.

Once the muffins were cooled I whipped up some icing.  (Cream 250g butter, add 250g icing sugar, colour with lots of strawberry jam…. LOTS.)

At this stage the kids were all happy, so I decided to melt a little bit of chocolate and drizzle it over the top.

BT2 doesn’t eat diary so I used one where the heart was visible (I had to cut a little batter off the top of it, but not much) and just drizzled the chocolate over it.

And a post-three-year-old-mauling shot:

They required more effort than I would usually put in, but for a treat they were lots of fun!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: